We fire all our student’s work at the end of each term and they collect them a few weeks later. We do not offer a commercial firing service to the public. We recommend our buddies at Northcote Pottery Supplies if you are not a current student of ours.
We ask students to bring a hand towel to each class and a notebook and pen is a great way to keep track of instructions!
Yes, all classes can be paid by credit card through our online booking system.
Wheel classes are either Beginner or Intermediate and above levels. Other classes are mixed levels with students learning together but the teacher often separates the levels within the class. The dividing line between levels is fairly relaxed and if you have some prior experience we encourage you to contact us to chat about your individual needs before you enrol. For advanced levels we offer one-to-one mentoring which is a chance to develop your work with experienced tertiary-level expertise. We love to see people improve and stay with us for long-term development so we are always looking for ways to meet your level.
“SATs” stand for our Studio Access Times and these are available to our currently enrolled students who can use our studio for some quiet practise time. We are not a drop-in studio for anyone to access our space, sorry. SATs are only available if you are currently enrolled in a weekly course with us. In 2018 our SAT times are Monday and Tuesday 12-3pm and Friday and Saturday 10am – 1pm. The fee is $30 for up to three hours and includes unlimited use of our standard mid-fire stoneware clay – provided you fire your pieces with us. If you wish to use other clays you will need to purchase them separately. We have a loyalty program for continuing students where we give two free SATs per term with unlimited clay (continuing means from one term to the next: not available in the first term or if you take a break, sorry!). NOTE: Our SAT times are subject to change and are a gift to our students. We will post a cancellation on our Facebook page so please check it before attending. We reserve the right to cancel them at any time for any reason.
Your fees cover full tuition for the term of your course and UNLIMITED clay. Yes! It is very unusual! We believe students need to practise in an atmosphere of non-preciousness so we encourage the free use of clay. The only extra cost is a firing fee which is applied on a user-pays system (by weight). We do not judge your work, believing the creative process is more important than anything, so it is our policy to fire everything that students wish to keep. But we do encourage you to reflect deeply and to have high standards for your work and we do not support commercial firing for onselling. The firing fee in 2018 $9.50 per kilogram weight.
If you miss a class for any reason you can make up ONE missed class per term in any Studio Access Time (“SAT”) of your choice. See “SAT’s” below for more information.
Generally, anyone can do the hand building classes but for the wheel classes we suggest that you get a doctor’s opinion if you have a bad back, neck, shoulders or wrists. We do not take any responsibility for any pre-existing illnesses or health issues that may be exacerbated by being in our studio, including respiratory illnesses such as asthma. Using the potter’s wheel is quite a physically demanding activity and requires a bit of strength but most physically fit people can master the wheel with practice and perseverance! It often requires about three terms to start feeling comfortable with it so be prepared to join us for a while if you can!
You need to be 16 or over to attend Slow Clay classes. Our teen classes are open for 12-16 year olds and Clay Club classes are for children aged 7-12. The is a bit of overlap and we do not take these ages very seriously so please chat with us if you are unsure.
We open for new enrolments each term on a specified date that is published in our monthly e-newsletter and on our booking pages. Please keep an eye on it as you need to book as soon as it is open for enrolment to ensure a place. Our weekly courses book tend to book up quickly and we apologise if you miss out but encourage you to think about enrolling in another course with us if it has spots available. This will give you the priority to re-enrol the following term as a continuing student before we open to the public.
We apologise we cannot take bookings before the published date unless you have a gift voucher. After the published date our classes will appear on our website as open for booking if they still have spots available. You can then follow the prompts to book using a credit card. You will need to pay a non-refundable deposit to hold a place. If no options appear for you to book then it means we are not yet open for new enrolments. Please check back in a few weeks for the new date to appear. You can enrol via our office on 03 9943 7844 with a credit card (full payments only, no deposit option).
Please be aware that you may not see options for bookings on our web site if we have just started a term of classes. If you cannot see options for booking classes please make a note in your diary to return in a couple of weeks. Usually we re-open for bookings about half way each term. This enables us to offer our existing students time to hold and book their places for the forthcoming term before we open to the public for new bookings. The opening dates are usually about mid-November, mid-March, mid-May and mid-August each year. Please accept our apologies but we hope you can join us as soon as we re-open for new bookings.
Yes, we would be happy to show you our beautiful facilities but you need to make an appointment please (preferably by email). We are not a retail business and don’t keep office hours and we are often busy teaching so if you turn up without an appointment you might be disappointed – or you might strike it lucky!
We are passionate about education, passionate about ceramics and passionate about community. All our classes are taught by leading ceramics teachers who are also practising ceramic artists. Our philosophy is based on open-ended exploration grounded in a solid foundation of skill and a conceptual appreciation of art and ideas. From our little centre in Collingwood, Melbourne, we love building interest in ceramics and in what all ceramic artists are doing around the world and welcome you to join us!
We are growing and we love thinking up new classes, activities and forums and welcome you to join our community. Please LIKE our Facebook page and FOLLOW us on Instagram and sign up to our e-news here so you don’t miss out! We have a news section on our web site and we also have a database where we have waiting lists for all classes so email us email@example.com to get on it. Our e-news is generally once per month and we will not give your information to any 3rd party.
These apply to all Slow Clay Centre classes.
- Non-refundable deposit or full payment (depending on the course) must be made at time of booking.
- Please choose your classes carefully. Due to our limited class sizes once you’ve booked and paid either the deposit or the full fee we will only refund what you have paid if the class is cancelled. If you are unable to attend after booking you may transfer your booking to a friend for no charge or, provided we can fill your place, you can hold your payment for up to 12 months for a future course. Please note: when paying by deposit online the balance is automatically deducted from the same credit card four weeks before the course start date through our booking agency We Teach Me.
- Please note that making ceramics on the wheel can be a physically demanding activity and it is usual to feel a little stiff initially. However, if you have any pre-existing or chronic injuries to your back, shoulders, neck, wrists or elbows you are strongly advised to seek a medical opinion before enrolling as some activities might exacerbate past injuries and we take no responsibility if this occurs.
- All work made during classes is to be used for personal, non-commercial purposes. This is negotiable for advanced students or for studio exhibitions but we ask students to accept that the emphasis of classes is strictly on education rather than on production.
- Teaching fees are fully inclusive of materials but students incur a firing fee dependent on the work they produce. handling fee plus $8.50 per kg.
These additional conditions apply to all Slow Clay Centre weekly classes.
- Students are allocated a board and shelf for storage and must contain their work to that space for wet work in progress.
- If needed, you may transfer to a different class time within the same term for no fee – provided there is a place available.
- One missed lesson per term can be made up in any Studio Access Time (SATs) within the term you have booked.
- Studio Access Times (SATs) are available to all enrolled students during term times. We offer Monday, Tuesday and Friday afternoons, 1 – 4pm, and Saturdays 10am-1pm. Cost: $30 for up to three hours, unlimited clay. We reserve the right to cancel any sessions without notice that may conflict with other events, although we always try to post on our Facebook page 24 hours prior. Please check www.facebook/slowclay to avoid disappointment.
- Loyalty offer: Continuing students receive two SAT sessions per term FREE (worth $60 plus clay). Only available for enrolled weekly students continuing from one term to another without a break and must be used within the term they are enrolled.
Regarding kids Clay Club:
These apply to all Slow Clay Centre kids Clay Club classes.
- It is your responsibility to clearly report in writing on the enrolment form, any illness or disability that may affect your child’s involvement in the Clay Club activities.
- Please sign your children into each class and sign again on pick up.
Please choose your classes carefully. Due to our limited class sizes once you've booked and paid either the deposit or the full fee, we will only refund what you have paid if the class is cancelled. If you are unable to attend you may transfer your booking to a friend for no charge or, provided we can fill your place, we can hold your payment in credit for up to 12 months for a future course. Please note: we do not take any responsibility for pre-existing health issues that may be exacerbated by being in our studio. Please seek a doctor's opinion or ask us if you need moe information.
Deposits are a commitment to attend and are non-refundable. If you pay the deposit online the remaining balance will be automatically deducted from the same credit card three weeks before the course start date through our booking agency We Teach Me. If you paid your deposit offline through our office you will receive an automatic reminder and link to pay the balance three weeks before the start date and it is your responsibility to attend to this payment promptly or you could forfeit your class. We have limited places available and if you have not paid the balance when prompted you risk losing your place. Thank you for your understanding!