We do not usually offer refunds due to the small size of our classes and the difficulty of waiting list administration. However, due to Covid19 we are able to refund you if you cannot attend the re-scheduled class time OR we cancel a class/course or cannot operate due to government restrictions. If we have to cancel we will notify you via the email address you have supplied when you enrolled. If you cannot attend the new date we ask you to tell us promptly so we can find a replacement student for you. We cannot refund you after the course has started.
We understand shit happens: you get caught at borders, or in a hot-spot, hopefully its not worse…but we cannot be responsible for other people’s problems at short notice. We ask for your understanding. Due to reduced capacity in our space if you cancel at the last minute and we can’t find a replacement for you we are severely impacted. We have already been through so much in the past year.
The options: We can try to find a replacement student for you from our waiting list and if successful we can transfer you to another class in the same term or the following term. Or we can create a credit voucher valid for two years. The cancellation/transfer fee is $25 which we will deduct from your balance. If we are unable to find a replacement you could spread your love and gift it to a friend instead? Or, if we have a vacant spot available in a class in the future you can take it up, paying any difference in fees. If this is not possible your fee will be forfeited.
It is your responsibility to ensure we have your most updated email address and to check your Junk folder regularly for communications from us. If you don’t turn up and request a refund after the event…..hmmm, well, let’s just say that’s a bit unreasonable….we hope you agree.
We communicate via email to our students and it is your responsibility to ensure we have your most updated email address and to check your emails, including your Junk folder, regularly. We send reminders, updates and new information and offers regularly to our students. During 2020 we had many students tell us they didn’t receive our updates. We always use the email address you have supplied us when enrolling. We cannot chase up people if they haven’t replied and we cannot take responsibility if you didn’t know about changes of dates/prices etc. See Refunds in the time of Covid.
See Refunds In The Time of CoVid.
No refunds unless class is cancelled by us. We can create a credit voucher or transfer you to another class if we can find a replacement student. Cancellation/credit voucher/transfer to different class fee: $25.
If you enrol with us or subscribe to our newsletter we communicate with all our students by email. We occasionally hear from students who have not received our emails. Please make sure to add info@slowclay to your contacts list. Its a good idea to check your junk folder regularly too!
Yes, we can create an open gift voucher which is valid for 12 months from the date of purchase or a specific date gift voucher. Our gift vouchers are a great present and can be used for any of our courses or for private lessons. Check our latest course prices for a guideline of what you can cover but generally prices range from $120 for a group taster class, $295 for a private class for two and up to $595 for a term of 8 classes. We also have a new comprehensive online hand building course available if someone cannot attend in person. If there is a shortfall between the amount purchased and the price of the desired course to be redeemed then the voucher recipient must pay the difference. Please note: Gift vouchers are not redeemable for cash but can be transferred to another recipient for no charge.
COVID UPDATE: we will extend the validity time of any gift vouchers not redeemed due to CoVid for another 12 months from the date of purchase ie: extend from 12 months to 24 months. We will re-assess this if CoVid prevents us from teaching for more than 12 months.
Please first check “Covid 19 update on refunds”.
These apply to all Slow Clay Centre classes.
- Non-refundable deposit or full payment (depending on the course) must be made at time of booking.
- Please choose your classes carefully. Due to our limited class sizes once you’ve booked and paid either the deposit or the full fee we will only refund what you have paid if the class is cancelled. If you are ill or unable to attend after paying, you may transfer your booking to a friend for no charge or, provided we can fill your place, you can hold your payment for up to 12 months for a future course. If we cannot find a replacement your payment will be forfeited.
- When paying by deposit online the balance is due three weeks before the start date and you will be sent a reminder from our booking service “We Teach me” with a link to pay the balance. If the balance is not paid three weeks before the start date, or we have not heard from you to arrange an alternative, we reserve the right to cancel your booking, keep the deposit and offer your spot to another student.
- Please note that making ceramics on the wheel can be a physically demanding activity and it is usual to feel a little stiff initially. However, if you have any pre-existing or chronic injuries to your back, shoulders, neck, wrists or elbows you are strongly advised to seek a medical opinion before enrolling as some activities might exacerbate past injuries and we take no responsibility if this occurs.
- All work made during classes is to be used for personal, non-commercial purposes. This is negotiable for advanced students or for studio exhibitions but we ask students to accept that the emphasis of classes is strictly on education rather than on production.
- Course fees are fully inclusive of all materials available in our studio including unlimited clay.
- An extra firing fee is incurred after the course finishes for weekly Wheel and Form & Surface classes. Firing fees are not charged for Porcelain, Clay Club, and Taste The Clay classes. Weekend Intensives incur an extra charge for an optional glaze class which includes a firing fee.
- Weekly Wheel and Form & Surface students pay for their firing fee when they come to collect their finished work post firing. The 2020 fee is $10/kg. Students are asked to weigh and pay for their work before they take it home.
These additional conditions apply to all Slow Clay Centre weekly Wheel and Form & Surface classes.
- Students are allocated a board or an area for storage and must contain their work to that space for wet work in progress.
- One missed lesson per term can be made up in any Studio Access Time (SATs) within the term you have booked.
- Studio Access Times (SATs) are available to all enrolled students during term times. We offer one hour class extension SATs($10) or two-hour SATs($20) after all Monday – Friday morning classes and three-hour SATs($30) on Saturdays 10am-1pm. Unlimited clay and full use of studio facilities.
- Loyalty offer: Continuing students (from one term to the next with no gap) receive two FREE SATs per term. These can be used in any weekday afternoon or Saturday morning SAT. Unused SATs cannot be held over to another term and therefore must be used within the term you are enrolled or forfeited.
- We reserve the right to cancel any SAT sessions without notice although we always try to post on our Facebook page 24 hours prior. We will also try to email or ring students who have booked a Saturday morning SAT however occasionally shit happens! Therefore please check www.facebook/slowclay to avoid disappointment.
Regarding kids Clay Club:
These apply to all Slow Clay Centre kids Clay Club classes.
- It is your responsibility to clearly report in writing on the enrolment form, any illness or disability that may affect your child’s involvement in the Clay Club activities, including allergies and behaviour needs. Please understand our educational philosophy is progressive and designed to encourage self-determination and creative thinking. Please re-think if your child requires defined activities with prescribed outcomes or has social needs requiring one-to-one attention as our classes may not be suitable.
- Please sign your children into each class and sign again on pick up.
We ask students to bring a clean hand towel to each class (and wash it after each class!) and a notebook and pen is a great way to keep track of instructions!
Yes, all classes can be paid by credit card through our online booking system.
Wheel classes are either Beginner or Intermediate and above levels. Other classes are mixed levels with students learning together but the teacher often separates the levels within the class. The dividing line between levels is fairly relaxed and if you have some prior experience we encourage you to contact us to chat about your individual needs before you enrol. For advanced levels we offer one-to-one mentoring which is a chance to develop your work with experienced tertiary-level expertise. We love to see people improve and stay with us for long-term development so we are always looking for ways to meet your level.
*CoVid19: Please understand our SAT policy has changed due to Covid19 and we may not be offering SATs for a while. If this is a deal-breaker for you please email us on email@example.com to check before you enrol.
In normal times: “SATs” stand for our Studio Access Times and these are available to our currently enrolled students who can use our studio for some quiet practice time. We are not a drop-in studio for anyone to access our space, sorry. SATs are only available if you are currently enrolled in either Wheel or Form & Surface courses. We do not offer them to Porcelain students or Weekend Intensive students, sorry.
Please note: SATs are a gift to our students and we reserve the right to change them anytime at our discretion. We might cancel at short notice or change what we offer for any reason and sometimes other events take priority. We will always endeavour to publish any sudden changes on our Facebook page and studio notice boards so please check there.
In *normal times SAT are offered each weekday 12-2pm and Saturday 10am – 1pm. The options are one-hour class extensions ($10) or two-hours($20) on weekdays after each of the morning classes and three hours ($30) on Saturdays. Weekdays are walk-ins and Saturdays must be booked if you want a wheel. You will receive an email at the beginning of the term with a password to book online for Saturday SATs.
Your fees cover full tuition for the term of your course and UNLIMITED clay. Yes! It is very unusual. We believe students need to practice in an atmosphere of non-preciousness so we encourage the free use of clay. The only extra cost is a firing fee which is applied on a user-pays system (by weight). We do not judge your work, believing the creative process is more important than anything, so it is our policy to fire anything that students wish to keep. But we do encourage you to reflect deeply and to have high standards for your work. We do not support commercial firing for on-selling. The firing fee in 2020 $10 per kilogram weight and payable when students collect their finished pieces. The firing fee is inclusive of bisque firing.
If you miss a class for any reason you can make up ONE missed class per term in any Studio Access Time (“SAT”) of your choice. See “SAT’s” below for more information.
Generally, anyone can do the hand building classes but for the wheel classes we suggest that you get a doctor’s opinion if you have a bad back, neck, shoulders or wrists. We do not take any responsibility for any pre-existing illnesses or health issues that may be exacerbated by being in our studio, including respiratory illnesses such as asthma. Using the potter’s wheel is quite a physically demanding activity and requires a bit of strength but most physically fit people can master the wheel with practice and perseverance! It often requires about three terms to start feeling comfortable with it so be prepared to join us for a while if you can!
Unless otherwise stated, all classes are for adults with a minimum age of 16. We occasionally have teen classes for 12-16 year olds and our Clay Club classes are for children aged 8-12. There is a bit of overlap and we do not take these ages very seriously so please chat with us if you are unsure. We are open to teens 12-16 yo to attend our adult classes if accompanied by an adult.
We open for new enrolments each term on a specified date that is published in our monthly e-newsletter and on our booking pages. Please keep an eye on it as you need to book as soon as it is open for enrolment to ensure a place. Our weekly courses book tend to book up quickly and we apologise if you miss out but encourage you to think about enrolling in another course with us if it has spots available. This will give you the priority to re-enrol the following term as a continuing student before we open to the public.
We apologise we cannot take bookings before the published date unless you have a gift voucher. After the published date our classes will appear on our website as open for booking if they still have spots available. You can then follow the prompts to book using a credit card. You will need to pay a non-refundable deposit to hold a place. If no options appear for you to book then it means we are not yet open for new enrolments. Please check back in a few weeks for the new date to appear. You can enrol via our office on 03 9943 7844 with a credit card (full payments only, no deposit option).
Please be aware that you may not see options for bookings on our web site if we have just started a term of classes. If you cannot see options for booking classes please make a note in your diary to return in a couple of weeks. Usually we re-open for bookings about half way each term. This enables us to offer our existing students time to hold and book their places for the forthcoming term before we open to the public for new bookings. The opening dates are usually about mid-November, mid-March, mid-May and mid-August each year. Please accept our apologies but we hope you can join us as soon as we re-open for new bookings.
We would be happy to show you our beautiful facilities but you need to make an appointment please (preferably by email). We are not a retail business and don’t keep normal office hours and we are often busy teaching so if you turn up without an appointment you might be disappointed – or you might strike it lucky!
We are passionate about education, passionate about ceramics and passionate about community. Our classes are taught by experienced ceramics teachers who are also practising ceramic artists. Our philosophy is based on open-ended exploration grounded in a solid foundation of skill and a conceptual appreciation of art and ideas. From our little centre in Collingwood, Melbourne, we love building interest in ceramics and in what all ceramic artists are doing around the world and welcome you to join us!
We are an active community of ceramics enthusiasts and love thinking up new classes, activities and forums and welcome you to join our community. Please LIKE our Facebook page and FOLLOW us on Instagram and sign up to our monthly e-news here so you don’t miss out! We have a news section on our web site but our e-news is generally the best place to receive news. We will not give your information to any 3rd party.
Please choose your classes carefully. Due to our limited class sizes once you've booked and paid either the deposit or the full fee, we will only refund what you have paid if the class is cancelled. If you are unable to attend you may transfer your booking to a friend for no charge or, provided we can fill your place, we can hold your payment in credit for up to 12 months for a future course. Please note: we do not take any responsibility for pre-existing health issues that may be exacerbated by being in our studio. Please seek a doctor's opinion or ask us if you need moe information.
Deposits are a commitment to attend and are non-refundable if you change your mind. The balance is due three weeks before the start date and it is your responsibility to attend to this payment promptly or you could forfeit your class. Thank you for your understanding!